POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: First animation ever (a metronome) : Re: First animation ever (a metronome) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 07:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First animation ever (a metronome)
From: Warp
Date: 7 Jul 2001 06:57:20
Message: <3b46eb10@news.povray.org>
JRG <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
: - Yesterdy I downloaded bmp2avi and cmpeg: how can I create an mpeg
: animation with frames bigger than 512x320? This seems to be impossible.

  Not with cmpeg, that's for sure.
  Try searching the net. "avi2mpg" should be a good search keyword.

: - What is exactly mpeg2?

  Version 2 of the mpeg standard. Although its quality is much better than
with MPEG1, it still doesn't seem to compress much better small-sized
aminations, but it's more designed for full-resolution movies. It's used
in the DVD format.

  MPEG4 is much better. It compresses any animation a lot smaller and with
a lot more image quality than MPEG1.
  However, currently only partial implementations of the MPEG4 standard
exist (and the standard itself if still under development). However, even
these implementations are much better than MPEG1. A couple of implementations
are ASF and DivX.

: - I think motion blur in MegaPov is a bit wrong: IMHO it should "average"
: the frames between t-dt and t. Now it seems to average all frames between
: t-dt/2 and t+dt/2 so that things look like they're vibrating rather than
: moving. This way motion blur objects anticipate their motion and this looks
: quite wrong to me.

  You are just probably using it in the wrong way. I have made motion-blurred
animations and it looks just ok.

: -Which are the differences between AVI and MPEG?

  MPEG is just an animation format. AVI is more like a container which can
hold almost any type of animation and sound. AFAIK you can even have an
animation in MPEG1 format inside an AVI, the sound being in MP3 format,
for example.
  MPEG has fixed limits for several things, eg. framerate. AVI has no limits
(others than imposed by the codecs for the specific format inside it).
  Usually the AVI format is used to contain a DivX animation.

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I